The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Programme 2017 in USA (funded)
Deadline: December 1, 2016
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program supports independent research and study related to Smithsonian facilities, experts, or collection for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.
Smithsonian Institution Fellows conduct independent study and research related to SI collections, experts, or facilities in cooperation with at least one Smithsonian advisor.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is administered through the Smithsonian Office of Fellowships and Internships (OFI).
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is open to:
- Graduate Students
- Predoctoral Students
- Postdoctoral Researchers and
- Senior Researchers
Graduate Student Fellowships: Graduate Student Fellowships are typically 10 weeks in length. Students must be formally enrolled in a graduate program of study at a degree granting institution. Before the appointment begins fellows must still be enrolled and must have completed at least one full time semester or its equivalent. Graduate Student Fellowships are usually intended for students who have not yet been advanced to candidacy if in a doctoral program. Graduate student fellowships are offered for ten weeks and are not available for periods of less or more than ten weeks.
Predoctoral Student Fellowships: Predoctoral Student Fellowships are typically (pls see below for exceptions) 3 to 12 months in length. Students must be enrolled in a university as a candidate for the Ph.D. or equivalent. By the time the appointment begins the university must approve the undertaking of dissertation research at the Smithsonian Institution and certify that requirements for the doctorate, other than the dissertation, have been met.
Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowships: Postdoctoral Student Fellowships are typically (pls see below for exceptions) 3 to 12 months in length. The doctorate degree must be completed by the time the fellowship begins.
Senior Researcher Fellowships: Senior Fellowships are typically 3 to 12 months in length. Applicants must have held a Ph.D. or equivalent for at least 7 years.
- The program is open to US citizens and Non-US citizens. Applicants whose native language is not English are expected to have the ability to write and converse fluently in English. All application materials must be presented in English (foreign transcripts may be translated, see below).
- Past or current fellowship recipients are eligible to apply for another award.
Value of Fellowship: The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship award amounts are as follows:
- Graduate Student Fellowship**: $7000.00 for 10 weeks
- Predoctoral Student Fellowship: $32,700 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
- Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
- Senior Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Fellows in earth/planetary sciences and conservatory sciences are eligible to receive up to $5,000.00 over the amounts above.
How to Apply: Apply Through: SOLAA
Please ensure you go through the application guidelines and Scholarship Webpage before applying.
Award Provider: The Smithsonian Institute.
Like us on Facebook for more opportunities: